Friday, December 3, 2010

Why Smidges & Smudges?

First let me start by thanking you all for caring so much about my son and our family.  From the moment we found out that Owen had a brain aneurysm we have been overwhelmed with community support.  I can't express how much that has meant to us and helped us through this whole ordeal. 

I've always been a pretty guarded person as far as online-sharing of personal information goes.  In fact, if it weren't for Owen's situation I can't help but think that I wouldn't post anything.  But the truth is I believe that every single person who prays for my son ensures his continued success.  So I feel it's imperative to keep the community updated on Owen, and now so many people who have followed us from the beginning have asked that I continue to share him with them so that's what I hope to do here. 

I set up this site while we were still in Gainesville in the hopes of being able to go in depth about what exactly Owen, Ed, and I were going through and even though we are home I still plan to use this blog to keep people updated and to explain further our experience with the Vein of Galen anuerysm.  My hope is that people will continue to pray for Owen every single day as we are told we still face a long battle.  We have to make 3 trips to Gainesville in the next 6 weeks to follow-up with Cardiologists, Neurologists, and his Neurosurgery team.  Secondly, I hope to help other families who may come across this blog who are facing the uncertainty that comes with this diagnoses.  In my research I found very few sites where I could read about others who had been through what we were going through and I hope that this somehow helps someone else.  Thirdly I'm doing it for me.  I love to write and I'm hoping that this blog will get me back to the process of journaling one I think is really important and I don't do nearly enough anymore. 

When I first set this blog up I went through several names that I wanted to use but they were taken.  I couldn't shake something the doctors kept saying though.  Everytime I would ask about Owen's heart they would say it looked a "smidge" better.  Once the doctor said "marginally better."  I literally asked if marginally better was better than a smidge better.  I pray we keep getting a smidge better every single day and smudges are the impressions Owen makes on our hearts every moment.  Therefore smidges and smudges was created.

I'm very excited to begin this new journey and we are beyond happy to be home with Owen.  I welcome the opportunity to share my little miracle with you and all I ask is that you continue to pray for him.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment